Antelope Memorial Hospital
Medical Laboratory Tech - Fulltime
Schedule: Work hours will be flexible including holidays, weekends, evenings, and on-call hours. Takes call rotation for 24 hours laboratory coverage. Must be able to respond within 30 minutes.
Reports To: Medical Laboratory Supervisor
Position Summary: Responsible for the processing of laboratory specimens and reporting of results in all areas of the clinical laboratory. Maintains laboratory records. Follows laboratory policies and procedures; maintains quality control practices in the Laboratory to assure the highest degree of quality care can be maintained at all times.
- Ability to function in all areas of the clinical laboratory: blood bank, chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, coagulation, microbiology, serology/immunology.
- Responsible for performing moderate-complexity testing.
- Alters or adjusts methods and procedures for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
- Performs quality control procedures and instrument checks.
- Demonstrates knowledge of expected lab values for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
- Notifies patient care unit and/or physician of critical lab values.
- Maintains accurate laboratory records on procedures performed for statistics and billing.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies.
- Interacts professionally with the Director of Clinical Laboratory, Pathologist and clinical laboratory personnel.
- Consults with other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Follows standard precautions at all times.
- Manages and operates laboratory equipment safely and correctly.
- Demonstrates knowledge of new testing methods, products, instrumentation; remains informed on all current technologies.
- Maintains current knowledge of hospital policy, state and other regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations
- Demonstrates the value of team concept on a consistent basis
- Degree in Clinical Laboratory Science (or equivalent), Chemistry or Biology.
- Medical Laboratory Science Certification from the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) preferred
- Two years laboratory experience preferred
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.